19/1/1914 - 26/1/1990
Frederick Roberts Gerard enjoyed an extremely long and active career in motor racing, from his early days as a trialist with a Riley in 1933 through to the early 1970s as an entrant. Affectionately known as â€˜Mr Bobâ€™ both in the office and in racing circles, he made his name in the immediate post war era in a privately supported ERA car. Referred to by his contemporaries as the â€˜Gentleman of Motor Racingâ€™ he competed in and won numerous races including the Ulster Trophy in 1947, the British Empire Trophy in 1947, '48 and '49, in addition to the 1949 Jersey Road Race. Bob also came close to winning that year's British Grand Prix, finishing second to de Graffenried. As the fifties dawned, the old ERA was placed sixth in a couple of Grands Prix, but it was only really suitable for national races, so Gerard had to wait until 1953, when he acquired a Cooper-Bristol, to prove his worth. He drove it doggedly, frequently putting more powerful cars to shame and regularly scoring respectable placings in minor Formula 2, Libre events and in most British rounds of the World Championship until 1957. Gerard made his final GP appearance in 1957 at the wheel of the unsuccessful rear-engined Cooper-BG-Bristol, just missing the points. From 1959 to 1961 he happily drove a Turner in club events, before retiring from active service to enter a Cooper for John Taylor, mainly in non-championship races, later running Formula 2 cars for Alan Rollinson, Mike Beckwith and Peter Gethin among others. Bob Gerard was a highly revered racing driver, one of his accolades to the sport include the his name being dedicated to a Corner of Mallory Park Racing Circuit in Leicestershire known as â€˜Gerards Bendâ€™.